Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Final Chemo Infusion Today

...One Training Wheel Removed!

It surely goes without saying that I am absolutely thrilled that today I recieved my very LAST Gemzar chemo infusion! To a point, it's bittersweet. While I'm glad to no longer have the weekly, painful iv, burning chemo infusion and icky side effects...I feel vulnerable. It's as if I've lost one training wheel that was keeping me upright and stable and now thrust into being more on my own to accept whatever will happen. But I'm still very excited and thankful to have it behind me!

The nurse I had today told me I'd already been blessed. She shared that she rarely sees pancreatic cancer patients in the chemo infusion room because, normally, pancreatic cancer patients are diagnosed too late for any treatment to be helpful. She said that I'd already been given a miracle. I sort of felt that way early on....as if my deceased younger brother (who passed from duodenal cancer just 15 months prior to my diagnosis) had a chat with God to insure that I'd receive the chance he never got.


After my infusion came to an end today and to my surprise, all the nurses that were on duty (and in the past 6 months, I got to know all of them) came into my room playing tambourines, singing and congratulating me as one placed a "Distinguished Patient Award" (pictured) around my neck....something I'm sure all patients receieve upon completion of a cancer treatment. It was a sweet moment and one I'll never forget. I recieved lots of hugs from them and thanked them for their warm care...they were SO awesome!

I have a CT scan scheduled for the 27th that will show how well the chemo has done. Then, I'll be starting a chemo/radiation therapy treatment within the next month that will last 5-1/2 weeks (daily). This is my other training wheel. One day, I'll be riding through life, stable, sturdy and free.

Thank you for all the prayers, positive thoughts and caring emails!

Aroma Fields Candles & Bath

7 comments:

Zuda Gay Pease said...

Hi Mare! Congratulations on finishing up this course of treatment! Continuing to pray as you begin the next round.

Larky Lady said...

What a truly special day! What a blessing! Praise the Lord that prayer carried you! And prayer will be with you as you get ready for the next treatment.

Savings for You said...

Congratulations!

Judy Nolan said...

Marilyn, I'm sure your positive attitude is helping you on your continuing journey to battle pancreatic cancer. I'm sure there are days you don't even feel like climbing out of bed (and that's okay!), but it's good that you also take time to do the things you want to do to be productive. My dad's battle with lung cancer is proceeding along a similar treatment path than yours...he is a little bit ahead of you and just finished the combined radiation/chemo treatment, and will undergo a CT scan soon to see how things are going. My prayers are with both of you!

Melinda said...

Marilyn, I am so truly happy that you are finished with that part of the treatment...I had a friend here in Oklahoma that went through the same thing as you and she is doing great...
Im glad you have this blog as I can keep up with whats going on.
Ive missed talking with you.

Tobyfan

BeatleTot said...

Hey, Marilyn! I don't really know what else to say besides "Hey!" Oh, and congratulations on finishing up this treatment. I hope that chemo kicked some cancer butt! =) I love you so much and am eagerly awaiting an update.

Brenda

BumbleVee said...

Hi Marilyn.... I'm new to your blog and it is a bit difficult to know just what to say. But, I definitely do want to say that I think it is a wonderful thing you are doing in chronicling your situation and the treatments ..... it absolutely has to be inspiration to others going through difficult circumstances and not only with cancer, but life in general....

sending hugs your way....